Saturday6:00PM Great VespersFast: fish, wine, & oil
9:30AM Divine LiturgyFast: wine & oil
Thursday7:00PM Great Canon w/Life of St Mary of EgyptFast
Friday7:00PM Akathist HymnFast
Saturday10:30AM - Noon: Confessions
4:00PM Choir Rehearsal6:00PM Great VespersFast: wine & oil
9:30AM Divine LiturgyFast: wine & oil
FridayGREAT LENT ENDS7:00PM Vespers of Lazarus SaturdayFast
Saturday9:30AM Divine Liturgy6:00PM Festal Vespers for Palm SundayFast: wine & oil
- All special lenten services, plus fasting guidelines,
- plus full Holy Week & Pascha schedule,
- with edifying article and helps for our lenten journey,
- updated 3/13/23 with recent schedule changes.
The ideal reminder for your desk or refrigerator.
Follow the Church Readings for Great Lent:
Today's Scripture, Saints, and Prologue: During the weekdays of Lent we read from the Old Testament, and on Saturdays and Sundays from the Gospel accoding to Mark, and the Letter to the Hebrews.
The Lenten Triodion in PDF format: NEW VERSION FOR 2023! — The Triodion (which means "Three Odes") is the service book for Great Lent, which begins to be used in the Church on the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee, and takes us all the way through Lent and Holy Week. Reading the texts of the special hymns from the Triodion is an ideal way to acquire the mind of the Church, and having this book makes it easy to follow along with the Lenten season week by week.
The above link opens a PDF of the actual Lenten Triodion book, with the masterful introductory article by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, 'The Meaning of the Great Fast'. Can be opened and used in any app that supports PDF files, including Kindle and Apple Books.
~ The School of Repentance ~
Guide to exploring our Great Lent Resources
Great Lent - Remain on this page, and scroll down for helpful articles and resources on Great Lent. Read an article a day as part of your Lenten effort!
On Fasting - Clear instruction on how we fast during the Great Fast, with spiritual insights as to why.
On Confession - A special collection of aids to preparing for the Sacrament of Repentance, distilled from the writings of St Theophan the Recluse.
Holy Week Resources are featured in a separate section. Here you will find a very helpful article tracing the Timing of the Passion and Holy Week, and a special series of articles highlighting each day's events, and explaining the special services, hymns, scripture passages and major themes for each day.
~ The Great Fast ~
'Let Us Rouse Ourselves to Spiritual Efforts!'
~ ~ ~
- Lenten Meditations from Fr. Steven - We strive to post these immediately as they appear, though certainly on a weekly basis.
- Special Articles from Fr. Steven - Brief, topical helps for the Fast, in printable PDF format:
- Stand Fast and Watch! - A Sermon by St John the Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco
- The Lenten Triodion: The Service Book of Great Lent in English, translated from the Greek by Met. Kallistos Ware and Mother Mary, originally published in 1978. Includes most services from the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee, through all of Lent, and through Holy Week.
- Monachos.net: Resources for Great Lent: A special section of Monachos.net, with hymns from the Triodion, patristic resources, icons and much more. Includes the Great Canon of St Andrew of Crete complete text.
- Great Lent Resource Page on Mystagogy Blog - Literally dozens of articles by noted Orthodox writers on everything related to our lenten effort. Covers the many special commemorations of Lent, ascetical practices, saints associated with Great Lent, and much, much more.
- On Repentance That Leads to Joy - on St John Climacus (Monachos.net)
- Fasting Abundantly - special article on OrthodoxyToday.org
- Notes on 'The Meaning of Great Lent' by Abp Kallistos Ware (from The Lenten Triodion)
- The Meaning of the Great Fast: The True Nature of Fasting - Abp Kallistos Ware, complete text
- The Life of St Mary of Egypt
- Special Great Lent messages from St Gregory Palamas Monastery:
- St Theophan the Recluse - Four Homilies on Prayer; Classic texts on prayer by the revered 19th century Russian Bishop and translator/editor of the Philokalia:
Read: 'On the Lenten Prayer of St Ephraim the Syrian'
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit...
Both now and ever, and unto ages of ages, Amen.
Lord have mercy (12 times)
Followed by the Lenten Kontakion for the preceding Sunday.
(e.g. Publican and the Pharisee, Prodigal Son, etc.)
Lenten Service Books
OCPC / OCA
Service books for Great Lent, Holy Week and Pascha, featuring the official texts of the OCA.
- Forgiveness Sunday Vespers
- Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts, The
- Feast of Palms, The
- Bridegroom Services of Holy Week, The
- Holy Friday Matins
- Vespers of Holy Friday
- Matins of Holy Saturday
- Great and Holy Saturday Divine Liturgy with 15 OT Readings
- Paschal Service, The
- Vespers of Pascha, The
Ancient Faith Radio
Search Our Website: