Archbishop Kallistos Ware: The Meaning of the Great Fast - The True Nature of Fasting
Notes on Abp Kallistos Ware's 'Meaning of the Great Fast' - by Mother Paula
Fr Alexander Schmemann: Great Lent ~ Journey to Pascha
Fr Thomas Hopko: Great Lent (from The Orthodox Faith book series)
Way of the Ascetics: On a Resolute and Sustained Purpose
St John Maximovitch: Stand Fast and Watch!
Metropolitan Laurus: The Ascetic Struggle of Living in the World
~ The School of Repentance ~
Guide to exploring our Great Lent Resources
Great Lent - Remain on this page, and scroll down for key articles and features on Great Lent. Read an article a day as part of your Lenten effort! Updated throughout the course of the Fast.
On Fasting - Clear instruction on how we fast during the Great Fast, with spiritual insights as to why.
On Confession - A special collection of aids to preparing for the Sacrament of Repentance, distilled from the writings of St Theophan the Recluse.
Holy Week Resources are featured in a new section. Here you will find a very helpful article tracing the Timing of the Passion and Holy Week, and a special series of articles highlighting each day's events, and explaining the special services, hymns, scripture passages and major themes for each day.
~ The Great Fast ~
'Let Us Rouse Ourselves to Spiritual Efforts!'
~ ~ ~
- Lenten Meditations from Fr. Steven - We strive to post these immediately as they appear, though certainly on a weekly basis.
- Special Articles from Fr. Steven - Brief, topical helps for the Fast, in printable PDF format:
- Stand Fast and Watch! - A Sermon by St John the Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco
- Great Lent ~ Resources for the Journey - Our Special Parish Blog devoted to strengthening us all for the Fast, featuring videos, articles, books, and other resources.
- The Lenten Triodion: The complete text, with quick links for easy navigation. Covers every day of Lent through Holy Week.
- Monachos.net: Resources for Great Lent: A special section of Monachos.net, with hymns from the Triodion, patristic resources, icons and much more. Includes the Great Canon of St Andrew of Crete complete text.
- Great Lent Resource Page on Mystagogy Blog - Literally dozens of articles by noted Orthodox writers on everything related to our lenten effort. Covers the many special commemorations of Lent, ascetical practices, saints associated with Great Lent, and much, much more.
- On Repentance That Leads to Joy - on St John Climacus (Monachos.net)
- Fasting Abundantly - special article on OrthodoxyToday.org
- Notes on 'The Meaning of Great Lent' by Abp Kallistos Ware (from The Lenten Triodion)
- The Meaning of the Great Fast: The True Nature of Fasting - Abp Kallistos Ware, complete text
- Special Great Lent messages from St Gregory Palamas Monastery:
- St Theophan the Recluse - Four Homilies on Prayer; Classic texts on prayer by the revered 19th century Russian Bishop and translator/editor of the Philokalia:
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit...
Both now and ever, and unto ages of ages, Amen.
Lord have mercy (12 times)
Followed by the Lenten Kontakion for the preceding Sunday.
(e.g. Publican and the Pharisee, Prodigal Son, etc.)
The Psalter Group for Lent:
If you’re looking for a simple prayer routine or would like to work on your intercessory prayers, the Psalter group is forming again to strengthen us throughout Lent. Daily Psalms are assigned to be read at your convenience in the privacy of your home. You’ll also receive a list of parishioners in your group to pray for. Lent is a journey we take as a community in anticipation of the beautiful Pascha of the Lord. The Psalms help us to ascend toward Christ.
To sign up, please contact Jennifer Haynes at imamom2xs at gmail dot com...
+ + +
Explore many more articles and helps in our Great Lent Section:
Ancient Faith Radio
Search Our Website: